Monday, March 25, 2013

You Haven't Known Love

I want to break from our story for a second... I've had a bad day, and I want to tell you why...

I know to some people this might sound silly, getting upset over a shared Facebook photo, but on this journey? Sometimes it doesn't take much to throw you off your game. This one cut me to the core.


There have been many times where I've had to take a break from Facebook, hide pregnant people from my news feed, hide pictures, etc... I'm happy to have this option... but on the flip side, you have to see the picture before you hide it, so either way, it is in your face frequently... random surprise pregnancy announcements, people complaining about pregnancy symptoms and so forth. But this one? You haven't known love.

To this I would like to reply.... until you have been put through the microscope in more humiliating ways than you ever thought possible... until you have wrecked your body with every kind of hormone you are deficient in... until you have been jabbed with needles more times than you can count... until you have taken every medicine you are offered to make your body work properly... until you have charted every single day of your cycle and peed on more sticks than you can count, just to give yourself a slight percentage of a chance that you might be able to get pregnant... until someone has said that you can't do something that is one of your greatest desires... you haven't known determination.

Until you have felt your world coming to an end... until you have had to tell your husband that he will not be a father after all... until someone has said "I'm sorry the baby is gone"... until you have passed the tissue of what was your baby... until you have felt like your womanhood was completely stripped away... until you have said goodbye to your child before they even had a chance to live ... until you have said goodbye to someone you love unconditionally with all your heart... you haven't known loss.

Until you have been beaten down by life... until you have been so broken that you were laying in the pile of pieces that was once your life... until you admit that you cannot survive this by yourself... until you would be willing to give anything to be able to give your spouse the child they deserve... until your spouse has to remind you on at least a weekly basis that you are worth everything... Until you have completely handed over your life and fallen into the open arms of JESUS... you haven't known love.


So before you judge those who are childless... take a moment to put yourself in their shoes. The fingers I count are much less in number than the amount pills and supplements I have taken to even be given the chance to try to get pregnant. The toes I count are those my fur-babies that crawl all over me and give me millions of kisses when the pressure of the world is too much and I fall into a heap of tears... The hand that I hold is bigger than both of mine put together, it is the hand of my love, my comforter when I cannot hold myself together... it still sends tingles through my spine even though our journey has been and continues to be more challenging than we ever anticipated. The noses that I kiss are wet and cold and always make me giggle through my pain. The tummy I soothe is often my own due to the countless side effects of the lengths we are willing to go to try to conceive and the hormone supplements I use every month to sustain what might become a pregnancy. The stories I read are to you, in the hopes that if you find yourself in this or a similar situation that you might be comforted in knowing that you are not alone. The booties I have to deal with are accompanied by three wagging tails... that are always anxious to welcome me home and love me no matter what kind of mood I am in. And the tears? Those are often my own... occasionally my husband's... but mostly mine, and they are wiped away by my sweet sweet spouse, who feels my pain, even when he doesn't completely understand why I am hurting.

Now I know this picture is not passed around out of malice... it was not shared as a jab to us infertile women... but that doesn't make it hurt less. One simple little share, the poster probably didn't even think twice about completely broke me down, if just for a little while.

I know love. I know it in a thousand different ways. I know the love that I have for my child even though I will never see his face until I get to Heaven. I know the love of a man who loves me for me and would turn a mountain to rubble with his bare hands if it would make me smile. I know the love of a wide range of friends who have been supportive through my struggle even if they have never struggled themselves. Most importantly... I know the love of our Heavenly Father... who sustains me each and every day... who tells me I am worthy of said love, regardless of where I have been in my life.

That, my friends, is true love. During this Holy Week... take a moment to realize what has been given freely for you. Love. When things in life make you feel unloved, remember... God loves you so much that he willingly sacrificed His son. Christ loves you so much that he willingly sacrificed himself on the cross... If you are going to share stories of love, share them in such a way that it lifts people up... the most loving thing you can do for your fellow man is to share the gospel.

1 John 4:9-11

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
 
 
You do not have to be a parent to know love... you do not have to be infertile to know love... anyone can know love. Love is what guides us in this life. Love is what makes the world go 'round. Love is what makes your soul sing. Love is what sustains your marriage and your relationships even when you feel inadequate and unworthy. Love is the whisper from God that says "I am here with you, every second of every day... lean on Me and I will sustain you... I have a plan for you... just trust Me."
 
I know not everyone reading this is on the infertility journey, I know not everyone reading this has lost a child... But the main purpose of this post is this: I want to encourage you, no matter what journey you are on, no matter whether your path is easy or hard, no matter what difficulties you are dealing with today, no matter what kind of pain you are in this very moment, no matter how bad you feel about yourself, no matter what has broken you down... even if you feel totally happy and great today!! ... you need to know... YOU ARE LOVED. You are loved by the one who created love. It doesn't get any better than that.

12 comments:

  1. Wow Steph...tears. People dont think about things like that when they post but you're so right, it doesnt make it hurt less. God has a plan for you, even when we dont realize the plan yet. I often have to tell myself that, too. Thought when I was this age I'd have a husband and lots of babies but not in my time or hands, in His. Praying for you guys constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em... I have several friends that feel the same way you do... it just makes me think that with all the waiting, God must have one awesome plan in the works for you! Besides, you are too amazing to settle for anything less than you deserve ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw... I know the waiting is the hardest part... and I am praying for you!

      Delete
  3. I so appreciate this, Stephanie!!! I am so motivated by your blog! Thank you for being the brave, sweet person that you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It means so much to me... <3

      Delete
  4. So touching and so true! Know that your sweet, strong spirit is very encouraging, and that you are changing the world one blog post at a time through your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, know you are not alone in your pain. One of my friends lost a baby and I wrote this for her on the anniversary of the loss. And so I share this with you as well! I hope these are encouraging words!

    Momma,
    I know you didn't really get to know me here on this earth, but we both know how much love we mutually shared and still share for one another. So even though we have never felt one another's embrace or walked hand in hand down an old beaten path, it doesn't mean we haven't shared tender tangible moments or that our love is not real, if anything it shows how strong our love is!
    Not one day passes where I don't soar over your life and admire your strength momma! Your huge heart and tenderness make you a guardian angel to people on the earth; those people truly are blessed to have you! I know I was blessed in the little time I was here. Your love may not have been enough to keep me in this world (nothing could have kept me here, it was meant to be) but I'll tell you one thing, your never ending love keeps me going and allows me to soar high! Let me tell you momma, this little one may have small hands and small dreams, but I take after my momma and you ought to see me fly with my big ole heart showering love down your way! Even though I'm still a baby, I think I've got the biggest wings! I can't wait 'til you get to this side and I can show you what this boy can really do! You'd be proud I assure you!
    I admire the love you share with others, the deep coursing love that will never fail! Know this momma, your love has NEVER failed me; there is a special place in your heart that I know will always belong to me and you will always hold a special place in my heart! Don't ever hold back your love for another on account of feeling like you're forgetting me, especially your future child! I know I had my short time with you and I will cherish those moments forever, but you owe it to yourself and possibly my future sibling(s) to be the best mom you can be...showering them with the love that I already know you provide selflessly! I love you momma and I miss you tremendously but just know that I am happy and safe and am loved so much where I'm at! I can't wait til we get to meet officially! We can then enjoy one another's embrace and walk hand in hand into eternity!
    Remember I may be small but momma you gotta see me fly! Your love is what keeps me going and what allows me to soar, so stay strong momma! You are made to do great things in this world, don't sell yourself short! You are my role model and who I aspire to be! I love you and miss you!

    Love,
    Your lil' angel


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that was beautiful!! Brought me to tears!! This means more to me than you know with April coming up, we would have been celebrating our little one's first birthday... I have no words to tell you how this touches my heart. Thank you so so much for sharing this with me!! Absolutely beautiful... thank you!

      Delete
    2. Just know you have one lil' brave angel up there showering you with love! You have a beautiful spirit and thank you for sharing you fears, disappointment, tears, love, and joy with the world. I'm glad this letter encouraged you and know that it holds great truth. Through the little time I knew you, growing up in church, I knew that you are kind, sweet, compasionate woman of God and I'm blessed to see the strength you display today! =)

      Delete
  6. Thank you... In two words, thank you. I needed to hear this today. Thank you for speaking straight from my heart and to my heart. I appreciate it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em... you are constantly in my heart dear friend, and forever in my prayers. <3

      Delete
  7. <333 my lovie girl. you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete